Saturday 30 April 2011

Personal update - the silence and a detour

Yes, patient readers, I'm still fine and well. I came out of Kurdistan over two weeks ago - though to me it seems much longer ago already given that the experiences there were so intense, and that I've traveled far and wide since then.


Apologies for the silence, as I had meant to post much more on my time in Kurdistan immediately but it was hard to focus and find the space. Initially I and the other delegates flew back out to Istanbul, and the 2-3 days after that I slept, hung out with the others still there, and continued my search for the best spots to chill out in Istanbul.


Then my friends PJ and Ingrid came from Switzerland to visit me and Istanbul for the weekend . . . and then convinced me to visit them.


While I had really planned to not venture into Europe (at least any further than Turkey), the cheap flights and the offer of lovely hospitality convinced me, and it's been beautiful. PJ and Ingrid work in Zurich but their main home is in the gorgeous postcard-picturesque village of Engelberg ('Angel mountain'). I've had a couple of nights in Zurich but mostly I've been here in Engelberg, soaking up the alpine views and spending time with PJ and Ingrid and family. Plenty of relaxing, and some hiking as well.

Engelberg: where a monk - and apparently his cow - saw angels on a mountain
Awesome glacier hiking at 3200 metres
It's been quite surreal to go from the harsh realities of Palestine, to the beautiful but land-mined mountains of Kurdistan, to the comfort and peace of this incredibly beautiful part of the world, but I'm really grateful to be here and to see it. 


In a week or so though I'll be back to Palestine, travelling independently this time. Having gotten a great introduction to the issues and people through CPT, I'll be able to explore a little more and with more time to spend with particular issues or people.


Before then - over the next couple of days - I will plan on writing at least one more reflection on Kurdistan, and then will blog more from Palestine about what I see and do there.


(I've also updated my previous post about the tragic killing of Vittorio Arrigoni in Palestine. Do check out some of the links I've included if you can - painful but insightful stories of Palestine).


More posts soon... meantime feel free to post a comment or email me at
khristo . newall (at) gmail . com

No comments:

Post a Comment